Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas vacation!!!!


Yahoo, it is Christmas Vacation!!! I had a long day, didn't leave the office until 6:30 but got everything done to completely enjoy no work until next year!! I have metrics that I need to meet for the year and before I left I checked to see where I was and 6 months in to the fiscal year I am spot on with where I need to be, I poured it on in October and November and today I realized it was totally worth it! The kids are with their dad, grandparents and cousins so I am all by myself finishing up some sewing, trying to finish before they all come home. I made each of the kids and their cousins a fleece blanket (picture to the left) with their name on it, it was a lot of work but they turned out so cute, it was worth it! I seriously considered buying them each a Snuggie or a Slanket but I just couldn't do it, these turned out way better, anyway, I am just a bit tired of sewing them after 9 blankets!

I had a good workout this morning, only had to go for 30 minutes so I pushed myself a bit. I would LOVE to get faster but two good friends who have ended up sidelined with injury told me that slow isn't a bad thing if you are never injured, I think I might agree with them, what is worse a 2:15 half-marathon or not being able to participate? I'll take the slow time, thanks Nicole and Anne, your words of wisdom were heard!

I have to tell anybody who reads this about the soup I made the other night, I already mentioned it but I have to put the recipe out here for all to enjoy, I had leftovers for dinner tonight and it was even BETTER!

Vegetable and Bean Soup (I made mine with organic ingredients and I added up the cost under $10 for a double batch!)
1 eggplant (sliced in 1/2 inch rings then cut into 4 pieces)
2 large tomatoes diced
1 potato peeled and diced
1 carrot cut into 1-inch sticks
1 leek cut into rings (white and light green portion only)
15oz can cannellini beans
3 3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp dried porcini mushrooms soaked in hot water (only enough to cover)
1/4 cup dried pasta (I used bowties)
3 Tbsp pesto (store bought or recipe below)

Place the beans and their liquid in a large pan, add the vegetables and vegetable broth, bring to boil over medium heat, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Add the basil, mushrooms (with soaking liquid) and past simmer until pasta is done (approx. 10 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in pesto and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you wish. Delicious!!

294 calories; 2g sugar; 11g protein; 30g carbohydrates; 16g fat

No comments: