Sunday, January 3, 2010

I took the Polar Bear Plunge, what?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have too much going on in my head, way too much!  I am really excited for 2010, the year has already started out great, aside from a head and chest cold that I am pretty sure I exacerbated with a  few of my New Year's activities!  We decided to go see my mom and dad for the new year since we had other family here for the Christmas holiday, so we packed up the car and headed to the P's house on New Year's eve.  We had a nice low key evening, my sister and her husband came over with their kids so it was cousinville, we didn't see anyone under the age of 8 all night, they were sure they were going to stay up until midnight, luckily for us they only made it to 10 so we could go to bed too!

I woke up late on New Year's day and learned about a fun run that has been held for the past 30 years, the "Hangover Handicap" 5 mile run was starting at 9:30 and they had day of race sign up, so I ate some breakfast, and headed downtown to get into the race.  It was slushy and cold but after about the first mile I was plenty warm and very excited to be out running, what a way to start the year!  My handicap was not a hangover but rather the fact that I din't have a cup of coffee before leaving the house!  When I got home, somebody got a crazy hair and we all decided to head down to the beach for the "Polar Bear Plunge," standing on the beach in 34 degree weather in a bathing suit would not normally be my idea of fun but at the sound of the horn I headed into the water with everybody else, plugged my nose and went under BUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  Once we were standing on the beach again it didn't even feel cold!  My daughter wanted to do it too but I told her she didn't have enough body fat, I was shocked at the number of kids who jumped in, I don't think I am going to get away with saying no next year...

I told my mom as I was going to bed that I am really looking forward to 2010, 2009 was a very hard year, but I wouldn't take a single thing back, we learned more and did more than we have in previous years and with about half as much money.  My mom commented that I seem to be happier than I have been in a long time too, it is interesting what you can accomplish once you figure out your priorites and let go of much of the superfluous stuff that we all hang on to.  I love my life and my family and the freedom that I have found, 2010 is going to rock!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

:) So glad everyone liked the recipe. They are delicious! And I think the cold leftovers are pretty tasty too.